Sexual Assault Victim Advocate
Company: Women's Center of Brevard
Posted on: May 25, 2023
*TITLE: Sexual Assault Victim Advocate*
This position provides advocacy to victims of crime. This position primarily serves victims of sexual assault, however also assists as needed with serving victims of other crimes. Other crimes include, but are not limited to: domestic violence, stalking, and human trafficking. Advocates perform crisis intervention, provide accompaniment (forensic exams, law enforcement interviews, court etc.), facilitate the creation of safety plans, and connect victims to community resources by providing information & referral.
*PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES:*
*General Expectations *In the performance of their respective task and duties, all employees are expected to conform to the following:
* Fully understand and consistently exhibit all of the Women's Center Core Values
* Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision
* Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations
* Ability to adhere to company and/or program's dress code standards
* Flexibility with schedule as needed, to attend meetings and facilitate trainings, which may include some evenings
* Ability to abide by principles of EEO compliance and a workplace of dignity and respect
* Ability to work cooperatively in a group and/or team setting
* Ability to show respect to all others
* Ability to professionally communicate with other employees and outside stakeholders, as required
* Ability to take guidance and direction from management
*The remaining Essential Responsibilities are outlined in the following categories:*
* *Supervisory Responsibilities*
o SAVS staff advocates take a maximum of 12 (12 hour) on-call shifts per month (if they are not filled by volunteers). These shifts are to be split evenly between all SAVS advocates so they are each taking an equal number of night and weekend shifts. SAVS advocates will alternate taking holiday shifts if they are not filled by volunteers.
o Provide crisis intervention and support to primary and secondary victims and their families. o Assist survivors with the injunction process to include providing support while filing as well as at injunction hearings.
o Provide crisis intervention, information and referral and safety planning via 24-hour Hotline as needed.
o Document and maintain client files and provide statistical information to satisfy grant requirements.
o Provide information and referral, assistance with securing community resources, and safety planning to victims.
o Assist Victims with VCC and ACP filing.
o Maintain resource manual or directory, which identifies core and enhanced resources which may be needed by primary and secondary victims and their loved ones.
o Document statistical information on services provided and submits required documentation for program deliverables.
o Represent the Women's Center with community and/or statewide agencies, task forces, coalitions, committees, etc.
o Perform community outreach, presentations, and education regarding the topic of domestic violence or sexual assault.
o Liaise with community partners, building strong relationships to ensure survivors have access to wraparound support, and facilitating effective referral networks.
o Work cooperatively with Director of Victim Services (North) and leadership team on all program needs.
o Must be able to respond anywhere in Brevard County within one hour when on call. o All other duties as assigned by the Director of Victim Services, North.
* *Required Skills/Abilities*
o Excellent communication skills, including oral, written and effective listening
o Ability to advocate for all victims of crime, reporting and non-reporting o Demonstrated ability to work calmly through a crisis
o Cultural competency and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
o Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and demonstrate effective time management
o Ability to handle crisis calls and mandatory reporting requirements
o Ability to maintain caseload and provide ongoing case management
o Ability to maintain appropriate files and documentation for program
o Provide crisis intervention and supportive counseling to primary and secondary victims and their families
o Ability to work collaboratively across all departments and between all levels within the organization
Physical demands include sitting or standing for extended periods of time, bending, and regular use of standard office equipment such as the telephone, copier, fax and computer. Demands also involve protracted concentration. Job involves frequent interactions with internal and external customers, and routinely intense public contact.
*EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS:*
* Bachelor's degree plus proven direct service work experience in rape crisis, victim services, criminal justice, or related social service field. Experience may be substituted for the required college training.
Candidates with social services experience are encouraged to apply, regardless of degree status.
* Thorough understanding of the issues surrounding victimization
* Interest and concern for victims of sexual assault and other victimizations
* Ability to maintain position requirements for grants to include 30 hour Advocacy Core Training for certified rape crisis programs within first 30 days, and subsequent 8 hours on-going sexual violence training annually, ability to achieve and maintain 40 hour victim services practitioner designation
* Valid Florida Driver's License
* Must be able to pass a level 2 background check
_Women's Center of Brevard is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws._
Revised May 23, 2023
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $42,000.00 per year
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Vision insurance
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* Night shift
* On call
* Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
* Titusville, FL 32796: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
* This position requires the applicant to reside within one hour of all Brevard county hospital locations. Do you meet this requirement?
* Associate (Preferred)
* social service: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person
*TITLE: Sexual Assault Victim Advocate*
Keywords: Women's Center of Brevard, Titusville , Sexual Assault Victim Advocate, Other , Titusville, Florida
here to apply!